One of the first questions any dog owner asks before buying a plant like a fiddle leaf fig is: are fiddle leaf figs toxic to dogs? While many plants are entirely harmless to pets, some plants cause harm to dogs when ingested.
Other plants may cause harm even when the animal doesn’t eat them and only comes into contact with them.
So let’s learn more about whether the fiddle leaf fig is toxic to dogs.
Are Fiddle Leaf Fig Plants Toxic To Dogs?
Unfortunately, the fiddle leaf fig (Ficus pandurata) is toxic to dogs, cats, and people.
The trunks, stems, and leaves of fiddle leaf figs contain a white sap that irritates the skin and causes harm to the digestive system of most animals that try to eat it.
Humans should wear gloves when caring for the plant and engaging in activities like pruning, and it’s essential to keep the plant away from the reach of pets like dogs.
Unfortunately, fiddle leaf figs may grow up to 6′ feet tall inside, so keeping them elevated and away from pets is challenging.
What Happens When A Dog Eats A Fiddle Leaf Plant?
The irritating sap inside a fiddle leaf fig plant is a defense mechanism that causes pain to dogs when the liquid comes into contact with the skin or inside the mouth.
As a result, dogs may eat a leaf out of curiosity and experience irritation around the mouth and, in severe cases, vomiting and excessive thirst.
In addition to excessive thirst, fiddle leaf figs can cause unusual urination, diarrhea, and appetite loss.
In addition, the dog may start to drool unusually (when there is no food present, for example) and experience swollen lips and tongue.
Dogs that eat a large amount of the plant may start to have problems breathing and become lethargic.
The swelling and irritation in the mouth may lead the dog to paw or scratch its mouth, ears, or face.
In cases where just a tiny amount of the plant was ingested, an owner might not even notice anything wrong with the dog.
As with most toxins, the severity of the dog’s symptoms will depend on how much fiddle leaf fig the dog ate or came into contact with on its skin.
Eating a few leaves is cause for concern since it doesn’t require the dog to eat much of the plant to cause a severe reaction.
Treating Symptoms Of Fiddle Leaf Fig Poisoning In Dogs
In minor cases, a dog’s symptoms may not appear noticeable, so you might not even realize that your pet ate a leaf or came into contact with a fiddle leaf fig plant.
However, if you notice symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, or a loss of appetite, it’s essential to get the pet seen by a vet as quickly as possible.
In severe cases, fiddle leaf is so poisonous to dogs that it causes organ damage, which you might not even realize without tests conducted at the vet.
At the vet, standard treatments may include inducing vomiting to rid the stomach contents of the poisonous material.
The vet may then administer activated charcoal, which may help prevent the plant’s toxins from being absorbed into the dog’s system.
In severe cases, the dog may require IV fluids and overnight monitoring to ensure the fiddle leaf fig poison doesn’t harm the kidneys and liver.
Dogs with trouble breathing or an allergic reaction to the plant may require oxygen therapy, which should help the dog stabilize.
Severe poisoning from fiddle leaf figs may require an overnight stay at the veterinarian’s office.
Is A Fiddle Leaf Ficus Safe To Own In A Dog Home?
Fiddle leaf aren’t safe for dogs. Due to their toxicity to dogs, cats, and humans, it’s essential to consider carefully before bringing a fiddle leaf fig into a home with pets.
The likelihood of a dog dying because they ingested fiddle leaf fig toxins is unlikely.
Still, some irritation and potential harm may occur with any level of contact with the plant.
The plant may harm the dog whether it accidentally gets some sap on its skin or eats a leaf and ingests the toxins. But, if you are asking – are fiddle leaf figs toxic to dogs? It is best to keep them away from each other.